How to DNA Braid
The DNA braid or 3 strand Fishtail as it is sometimes known is a beautiful intricate braid. It gets its name from the twist which resembles a double helix, although it takes a little while to do the results are definitely worth it.
In this tutorial we will explain step by step how to achieve this amazing braid. Don’t be intimated by it, it’s not as complicated as it looks.
We’ve chosen to do a half up style for this tutorial but this braid also looks great as a high or low ponytail or even pigtails.
What you will need
You won’t need much to create this braid just a hair brush a few bands/elastics and any styling products you require (the hair can get a bit untidy near the end as the outer sections become shorter so if your hair is prone to flyaways something to tame it is highly recommended to keep the braid neat).
Video tutorial is available on our Youtube channel
DNA Braid Step by step guide
The braid is easier to do than it looks. The technique is similar to a fishtail braid, it is achieved by passing small pieces of hair over and under each other and finishing by twisting the hair to achieve this amazing double helix shape.
- Put half of the hair into a ponytail then section the ponytail into 3. Make the middle section smaller than the outer 2 sections.
- Take a small piece of hair from underneath the right hand section then pull it over the top.
- Pass the piece of hair under the middle section then join it into the left hand section.
- Take a small piece of hair from top of left hand section and wrap around outside of left hand section
- Pass the hair underneath towards the middle section
- Pass the piece of hair over the top of the middle section and join into the right hand section.
- Repeat steps 2-6 until the hair becomes too short to braid or you reach the desired length, then use a bobble or elastic to secure the ends.
- Gently twist the braid in a clockwise direction.
- Finish with your favourite accessories and your done.
Check out our other Hair Tutorials
For Hair accessories visit our Shop
More video tutorials on our Youtube page